Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest holistic health and healing systems. Ayurveda views health as a balance between body, mind, spirit, and senses. He argues that a healthy life is possible when we harmonize with the cycles and rhythms of nature throughout the year.
The system‘s food and lifestyle recommendations change from season to season, depending on the movement of the earth around the sun and fluctuations in the five ayurvedic elements in the atmosphere. The Vata dosha corresponding to the action during summer is naturally high. The pitta dosha, which corresponds to the fire and water elements and governs metabolism, also increases and peaks in autumn. Therefore, consuming foods and beverages that balance the Vata and pitta doshas during the summer is essential.
Foods that help balance these doshas are sweet, hard-shelled, high-water fruits and foods. Here are ayurvedic refreshing drink recipes that follow the season’s rules and can help you stay calm, happy, and healthy this summer!
In Ayurveda, figs are incredibly nutritious and energizing and are considered mood stabilizers. They belong to the category of mental health-promoting foods known as satvik foods. The National Institutes of Health study also found that figs may benefit weight management, cholesterol, constipation, hypertension, and more.
According to Ayurveda, dates support healthy hair and benefit the lungs.
On the other hand, green cardamom powder is considered beneficial for the skin and can aid healthy digestion. A perfect morning is possible when all these ingredients are combined in one drink!
(for two people)
- 2 cups almond milk
- Two fresh figs (dried figs can also be used, new is best if possible)
- Two dates (pitted)
- Coconut sugar (optional)
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- Combine milk, cardamom, and sugar in a small saucepan. Boil on medium-high heat. After boiling, cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and wait a few minutes for the milk to cool.
- Transfer to the mixer, add figs and dates and blend until smooth.
- Consume the milkshake either warm or at room temperature.
Refreshing Rose Sorbet
A great drink to revive your body on a hot day! Roses are considered Hedaya in Ayurveda, which means they have calming effects on your physical and emotional balance. Rose is also beneficial for your skin; it Soothes skin redness associated with allergies, blemishes, dryness, and inflammation.
- 1 cup of fresh rose petals
- 1 cup of organic coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Gently rinse the rose petals with water before use. Put it in a bowl, then mash it lightly with your fingers.
- Boil one glass of water in a saucepan, and reduce the heat after boiling. Add the rose petals and cardamom powder and close the lid.
- Let the mixture steep overnight or for at least a few hours.
- To make sugar syrup, melt the sugar over medium heat.
- When the leaves have cooled, strain the rose water. (Squeeze the rose petals to extract the water.)
- Mix sugar syrup with rose water and enjoy.
This recipe’s sour and incredible flavors will help you feel as light and bright as a summer day. While ginger increases blood circulation, lemon awakens your body and makes you feel radiant on lazy days. A bit of lemon and sugar will restore your strength as it replenishes lost due to perspiration. Fresh basil clarifies your thoughts with its slightly tangy flavor. When you feel exhausted, your mind will wake up and regain its radiance with this recipe!
(for three people)
- 1/2 cup basil
- fresh ginger
- One lime lemon
- Two teaspoons of brown sugar
- Grate the rind of the lime. (about one teaspoon)
- Chop the ginger into pieces.
- Add 1 cup of water to a mixer with ginger, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and a handful of fresh basil leaves. Blend until smooth.
- Combine the ginger lemon juice with three glasses of water in a pitcher. Garnish with fresh basil.